View Single Post
Old 06-28-2004, 06:57 PM   #428
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe Falowik

Falowik and Uien walked arm in arm along the outskirts of the Inn, crossing the little stream that ran back of it, where Falowik had been surprised by her in his bath those many months ago. He reminded her of it, and they laughed at how much umbrage he had taken at the time.

The stars rose, and Uien described them to Falowik, according to Elvish lore. He knew them as well as any Breeland man must, but the way she spoke of them was altogether different. It was hard for him to put words to it in his head. But what he did know was her tales of the sky were as fair as she, which was saying much.

His head spun with what Uien had told him. She was giving up her Elvish immortality for him! It was too much to grasp. He made a silent vow that never, never would he degrade her choice by any deeds done or undone. She was to him the greatest treasure in all of Middle Earth.

They talked of this and that, of things small and large, of the great forests to the east of the mountains, of how they must catch up to Lumiel and Eswen as they bore the body of Lira back to Eryn Lasgalen. It was a sad thought, but Lira had lived and died well, and was loved, and had now found peace across the sea. But Uien spoke of Eryn Lasgalen and Lothlorien, and of a sudden, turned to him, her eyes bright with a sudden new joy.

"I wish to show you the land of my birth, Lauréatan! After we have brought Lira back to her folk, let us turn south to Lorien. It was a place of great beauty, even during the threat of the Dark Lord."

"I would like to see it."

Her face clouded. "I wonder if any Elves remain. There were very few when my family left."

As they neared the inn, they saw some silhouetted figures arrive in the stables, then pass into the kitchen.

"I wonder who that was, taking the back way?" Uien said.

"Knowing you, fair one, it will not be long before you know the answer."

She grinned as they passed through the front door to the Inn, which was boisterous with hobbits and Elves and Humans. It was almost a shock after the peace and quiet of the night outside. Falowik looked about and saw Eodwine, Finëwen, Falco, Gorby, and Anson, gathered round the fire, talking of this and that. Eodwine turned and saw him, and he waved.

There was a commotion in the kitchen. Uien's face lit with interest. "I think maybe some friends we know have just returned." They approached the counter, and Uien passed by, peering through the kitchen door.

Falowik watched from the counter. He saw her jump once, and then dash into the kitchen out of sight. A moment later she had returned to the kitchen door, her face lit with joy.

"Falowik! Cook and Derufin have returned!"

Falowik had not forgotten them, but had not known they were gone. It would be good to see Derufin again. He had never made close acquaintance with Cook. Uien was motioning for him to come. It was not like him to place himself in the middle of a hubbub. He smiled and shrugged, and followed Uien.