View Single Post
Old 12-12-2002, 07:39 PM   #35
Salocin
Wight

Salocin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Although Saruman did cross the races of man and orc, the ones that could withstand sunlight despite the fact they didn't like it were the Uruk-hai which were originally bred by Sauron.
Saruman created the Uruk-hai as an improvement on Sauron's Uruk (which are diffirent from Uruk-hai) Uruks were a super race of orcs created by Sauron in the third age. They were larger and stronger than normal orcs. It was the crossing of man and orc(Uruk) that made the Uruk-hai sun resistant. "hai" apparently means "sun proof" because there was a troll-race called the Olog-hai that Sauron created towards the end of the third age. I figure the word originally came from the brand name of an early sun screen (probably around 1000 spf if it was in comon use by orcs) in the black toung. It was probably derived from "kohaidh" which meant protection [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . By the way, I got all of this (except for the insightful bit of etymology) from Appendix F of LOTR section I:The Languages and Peoples of the Third Age, under Of Other Races.

I already expressed my full views on Saruman's ring and the source of the Istari's power in general in this threadI am not going to repeat it here for fear of being reprimanded for writting lost of long posts saying the same thing and because you can easily just click the link and see it as well as several other good posts on the subject.