View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 06:46 PM   #40
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
"I used to have a dog, but he died in the attack of the dragon. Someday I will have a new dog, though, when my mamma is better..." The little boy, Cynan, spoke with such confidence. Kellan admired his attitude. She had seen much destruction and sorrow in her travels, but she could not imagine losing her home and having her parents and family wounded or dead. Looking down at Grimm, happy, carefree Grimm, Kellan could not imagine losing him. Their journey together was not over yet, and Kellan knew that she would not be parting with the dog for a long while, but still the woman never thought of the day when they would take separate paths.

"I am sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine," Kellan murmured, her dark eyes brimming with remorse for the young lad. "I am sure that when you have a new dog, he will be very happy and I know he will be in good company. Not like your poor friend, and his master."

Cynan nodded, preoccupied with the big black beast on the floor but listening all the same. Kellan smiled, happy that Grimm could have someone to play with while they were in Dale. Kellan felt too exhausted to put up with his antics, and all Kellan really wanted while she was in Dale was to get up on the roof of the Tavern...but she would deal with that later. Bringing her mind back to the present, she watched as Cynan got Grimm to somehow "shake hands" with him.

"If you do not mind me asking, Cynan...what ails your mother? Is it burns, like your young friend? Or have you all lost someone close to you?" Kellan asked gently, curious but not wanting to pressure her new acquaintance into answering. Kellan knew well that wounds of the heart could hurt just as badly as wounds of the body.