View Single Post
Old 01-07-2004, 03:41 PM   #23
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
It would have detracted from the believability of Faramir's newly introduced character, the power of the Ring...
Scenario A

Faramir swears that not if he found It in the road would he take It. Later he finds out that the One Ring is before him and he has the ability to take it. His sworn word and his wisdom tell him not to take It. He lets It slip through his fingers, despite knowing this is against the wishes of his father and the law of his country. Rather than bringing the weapon of the Enemy to Gondor, he allows two hobbits and one Sméagol to prance willy-nilly with It into Mordor.

Scenario B

Faramir, eager to gain acceptance from his father and to save his city, takes Frodo and Sam prisoner. He sees the One Ring and It calls to him, tempting him to take It into his possession. He does not take It from Frodo or handle It at any point. Called back to reinforce Osgiliath, he decides to bring Frodo, Sam and the Ring with him. He is convinced for the moment that Gondor must have the weapon of the Enemy, as his father previously told Boromir. Once in Osgiliath, he sees the evil power that the Ring has worked on Frodo, who attempts to give the Ring up to a Nazgûl (but with Sam saving the day). Faramir then decides, "er actually, no, maybe I don't want this thing in Gondor" and lets them go. He takes them to a sewer (which for some reason runs underneath the river instead of straight into it [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and commits them to the care of Gollum, who he b****slaps a few times for good measure.

These are the two versions as I see them. Which is more believable? I have tried to present the good and bad points of both versions, but I know which one I think is more believable and consistent.

By the way, I think there are two separate discussions going on in this thread, and one was more suited to the Movies forum.