View Single Post
Old 07-20-2004, 02:06 AM   #14
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil
But Frodo had not accepted Sam's oath, as I recall. Sam made that oath to Gandalf, not to Frodo (i.e. not to lose Frodo). That's quite a different scenario from the reciprocated covenants between Merry and Theoden or Pippin and Denethor. Or am I again forgetting a relevant passage from the book?
Its matter of interpretation, I suppose. This is what sparked the whole discussion off on the Chapter thread. I'll give some of my post there:
Quote:
Quote:
'Don't you leave him! they said to me. Leave him! I said. I never mean to. I am going with him, if he climbs to the moon; & if any of those Black Riders try to stop him, they'll have Sam Gamgee to reckon with'.
Sam has, effectively, sworn an oath to serve Frodo, even unto death. He has also, more importantly, told Frodo that he has sworn it. In part, this accounts for his statement: 'I know we are to take a long road, into darkness; but I know I can't turn back.'
So, Sam has sworn his oath to serve Frodo, to the Elves, & then declared it to Frodo. Hence his shock & horror at discovering Frodo has set out from Parth Galen without him, & later, outside Cirith Ungol, when he agonises over whether to take the Ring or stay with his master,is not simply down to love for Frodo, but also because if Frodo does go alone, & then if Sam leaves him 'all alone on top of mountains, Sam will be an oath breaker. From that moment at Woodhall Sam has bound himself to stay with Frodo till the end. Once Frodo accepts his oath:
Quote:
I understand that Gandalf chose me a good companion. I am content. We will go together.
they become Lord & Theign. We can understand Sam's shock when Frodo does set off alone - Frodo is breaking tryst with Sam. Yet the oath holds them both.
As to the rest of your points, I can only agree that there is certainly a more 'negative' view of oaths in the Sil. I must look more deeply into the whole thing.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote