View Single Post
Old 03-21-2003, 06:50 AM   #45
Ruler of the Frogs
Animated Skeleton

Ruler of the Frogs has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe I've come across in the wrong way - I'm not trying to put down women. I'm a female, myself! And I love stories with strong female characters. I'm an aspiring writer, and I'm writing a story with a strong female lead, so obviously I have no problem with it. I was just commenting on how in LotR, with the exception of Eowyn perhaps, I don't get the impression that there were a lot of willing, adventurous women. There were a few that were, and that's what made them remarkable. Maybe at the time of LotR, Tolkien felt he could not write real enough female characters, and so decided to not put any females in too much spotlite. For whatever reason there aren't any females in the Fellowship, I am fine with it. I like the Fellowship as it is, and I try to see past the gender as someone here has said. I usually don't think, 'Oh, can't relate to them. There a guy!' Because I see the Fellowship as people, characters with a personality behind them. I don't dismiss them as a bunch of 'guys'. The same way as the first female character that appears, I don't latch onto and say 'If I were in Middle Earth, that would be me.' just because they are female. I try not to take gender into account. I am really happy with LotR. I loved Eowyn (and if anything, I wish she could have come sooner) as the strong female character. I think she would have been willing, and a good member of the Fellowship, but it would have altered the story too much, and as I love LotR how it is, I'm not for that. Tolkien wrote what he wrote for a reason, whether logical or personal, and because he is the writer I don't think anyone can argue with him. I just feel like maybe I've given a lot of you the wrong impression about me. I usually take the feminist side of arguments, and I realize that some of the things I have said may seem like I'm putting down women. I did not mean to sound that way. Also, when I said these things about a woman not wanting to go on a quest, monthly thing, it's not neccisarily my thoughts. I overlook that when I write, I'm just saying those MAY have been some things that Tolkien thought about. Who knows. All I know is I love LotR as it is, and I'm not degrating women. I am perfectly aware that they could have made the journey!!