View Single Post
Old 08-10-2004, 07:22 AM   #162
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I simply loooooooove the way people fail to notice their own accents, even when exposed to others. A bunch of my friends went to NYC a few months back, and they came back talking about people's accents in the city. My favorite great-aunt has a New Hampshire accent. My favorite uncle lives near Olympia, WA... yep. Accent. And yet, people in my general vicinity rarely realize that we all have an accent too. It's barely perceptable to anyone of the area, but if you go anywhere else in the world (or just speak to someone else), it's obvious. My "local accent" is that of speaking rather quickly and leaving the occasional letter off the end of words. There are very few people around here that actually pronounce the letter 't' if it doesn't come at the beginning of the word. A double 't' in the middle of a word becomes closer to a 'd'. The sound of 't' becomes more of a breath in the back of your throat. And yet I love my accent. That's just the way we speak here.

But I suppose, as a King (if you've ever read the Enchanted Forest Chronicles, you'll understand why I have no issues with this title) of the World Barrowdowner, I suppose I could simply pass a law or something, saying that everyone must be fully aware (and appreciative) of their accents. Mwahahahahaha.

Time to get back to my morning quest: that of actually waking up.

Fea