View Single Post
Old 08-12-2004, 11:41 PM   #20
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Indeed.

Quote:
I think I can safely speak for most slashfans when I say that I don't honestly believe that they were lovers -- but what if they were? It's simply the "what-if?" aspect that we enjoy.
Yes. How would that work in such a prudish and conservative society? How would they react? If they even knew. I did research into attitudes towards homosexuality before the creation of the term, as I believe Tolkien's world wouldn't even consider the possibility.

Historically, it turned out that among the upper classes it was considered an "eccentricity," and was only gossiped about behind closed doors. People of lower classes had a much rougher time, as they had less control over their destinies.

In sense it was freer, as people were more innocent and didn't notice obvious signs. It was viewed (if known at all) not as a classification of people, but as something unusual about that one individual.

Also, the lines were more blurred, because without the concept "gay," there wasn't the worry, "Oh no, if I hug a man I must be gay." So back then, lines were crossed, and there wasn't the emotional turmoil of redefining oneself based on one or another incident. I was surprised to find that it was viewed as a 'boys will be boys' sort of thing -- up until adulthood. Then one had obligations to the family. The social expectations were the main issue. One would never "come out" to ones family because one didn't talk about *ahem* 'the birds and the bees.' The answer to such a confession would be: "You come of age on such and such date. We've arranged a marriage with such and so. We realise you are in your tweens and sowing a few wild oats, but it is past time for you to be responsible. We expect grandchildren within the year."

The roles in society and family expectations become very complex. Then, with class distinctions, you have the power imbalance between someone of a wealthy class and someone whose family is poor: how can one keep the friendship from being destroyed in the process? Would there be a choice to end this to preserve the friendship? What is the internal impact of crossing so many lines?

Sorry, didn't mean to run on there.

Quote:
I mean, why not create your own characters and slash them?

--Evisse
Evisse, that's the argument usually used to dismiss all fanfiction. "Why not just write your own characters?" I think any writer's jaw would go slack at that sentiment.

That said, of course I do.

- Maril