View Single Post
Old 08-29-2004, 09:08 AM   #2
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Fordim,

"Boromir?" Ack! Now you've gone and done it. What a dreadful fate!

Are the persons honored allowed to register formal complaints? Child as Boromir ....."thanks to her formidable presence on the thread, and the fact that I'm not entirely sure about her motives......" (By the way, what do you mean when you refer to "the thread"? And I won't even ask about my motives...)

Many people are intrigued by Boromir and the theme of repentance, especially as depicted in the movies, but I am not among among their number. If truth be told, I have been one of Faramir's "fangirls" for endless years and could sense very early that a tiny piece of the author lay at the heart of that character. Tolkien tells us Faramir "had a 'bossy' brother." I can be accused of a lengthy list of shortcomings, but being bossy isn't one of them.

However, please do not change your designation. I will save the post in my scrapbook of cherished memories.

I wonder if there are any others who will quail when they see their name in this spot?

Now, on to the real purpose of this thread. Here is my take on the characters. You haven't said that we can't include ourselves in this list, so I am going to do that. And I just can't narrow my choices to one: the talent here is too rich, so I am going to "cheat".

Gandalf - BW certainly would be excellent in this spot, but I will make another suggestion: that of Fordim . He puts forward good ideas (usually ). He waves his staff and folk appear, helping him to achieve his goal by offering interesting ideas on the threads he's started.

Merry - Heren Istarion is one of the most helpful and fun people on the Downs and often comes up with insights out of nowhere that show, underneath that friendly exterior, quiet thoughts run deep.

Pippin - Bird is long retired from the site but her older posts still make me laugh more than any others. For a current poster, and for similar reasons although with a different style of humor, I would pick Lush .

Samwise - Me -- Child I am definitely a Hobbit. I was born a Harfoot and, despite many changes in my life, I am still a Harfoot. I admire the Frodos of the world with all my heart, but can never be one myself. I am stubbornly loyal to those I care for, to the point where I will toss everything out the window to fulfill my obligations to them.

Legolas - I am in a terrible quandry here because I have a three-way tie: Littlemanpoet , Davem , or Bethberry . The quality of their creative endeavor is such that I am sure they must be Elves.

Gimli - Regin Hardhammer All you have to do is look at his avatar.

Aragorn - Another tie: Esty and Pio . I am in awe how both of them handle their forums with grace and finesse, keeping things rolling while respecting the independence of those who come within their demesne. If I had to choose a ruler/leader, I would pick one of them.

Finally, Boromir - I hereby decline this honor for myself and reserve the spot for the Inktomi Slurp spider. I never know what he is up to and he seems to be everywhere at once.

You assume Frodo is a given, but I would select Lyta Underhill , Mark 12_30 , or Nurumaiel . Underneath their polite exteriors, I am convinced there are reflections aplenty: both sweet and sad intermingled, and a longing for something that lies beyond the shores of Middle-earth.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 08-29-2004 at 09:52 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote