Thread: Evil
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2004, 06:39 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Grave news

Quote:
Elrond knew the way to Mount Doom...he'd been there before...but did HE offer to take the Ring there?If not why not? what had he to lose?
Elrond was smart in not taking the ring. Having one of the 3 elven rings (Gandalf and Galadriel the others), they had all desired to take the one ring and use it to overthrow Sauron, but they were smart enough to resist the temptation. They had the power to see the ring, and resist it's temptation (as we get to see with Galadriel) but wielding it would be a dreadful decision. So that is why Elrond could not wield the ring, or take it himself to Mount Doom. Also, it would be far less noticeable if 2 hobbits tried to sneak into Mordor then one of the more powerful elves left on Middle-Earth. That is a reason for Legolas being chosen to represent the elves, because someone like a Glorfindel or Gildor would be too powerful and could very easily be noticed. Where Legolas, being from a lesser race, Sindarin, he wouldn't be noticed as easily.

Quote:
Nancing over to the Havens and abandoning ME to it's fate is the evil of omission...not intentional but wrong nevertheless.
Thoughts?
I don't see it as "wrong," the elves were fading, as you had the power of men begin to grow and the strength return other races like dwarves, ents, elves began to fade or decline. And after all, who would not want to go to Valinor? Valinor would be a much more beautiful place then ME, by far.

I will say there are a couple times where elves do seem a bit arrogant, where they seemed like they were better then everyone else. I don't know just some of the things Gildor said to Frodo, like "hobbits are dull," which is quite true, but that line just seemed to me like Gildor was full of himself.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote