View Single Post
Old 09-25-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Eye

Hama of the Riddermark's post

Lossenfirithion looked around at the elves gathered in the great hall. As Thranduil finished his speech the elves raised their swords in a cheer Firith smiled and raised his, crying out "For Mirkwood!" at the top of his voice. As they began to exit the hall, Thranduil stopped his nephew with a hand on his shoulder. "Nephew, this will be dangerous...I do not want to put you in danger, I do not want to lose you." Firith smiled widely. "And I don't want to lose you, uncle, that's why I'm coming. You don't think I'd let you go off and risk your life without me do you?" Thranduil's face appeared strained. "Firith I love you more than any of my nephews. You are one of the best fighters we have here only-" Firith cut him off, "Not as good Legolas." he finished his uncles sentance. Thranduil smiled warmly as a small tear trickled down his cheek. "In some ways, Firith, you are as good as Legolas, and in others better than him...Its not fair to compare yourself to him all the time. Legolas, as my heir, needs to stay here and keep order while we are gone. He cannot come. Yes...Firith I need you with me on this." Firith smiled and patted his uncles shoulder, "I'll go and get ready."

Back in his room Firith pulled his leather tunic over his shirt and buckled it. He looked at himself in a mirror, a gift from his uncle. He smiled again. Yes, in some ways he was better than Legolas, but not in many. This was enough to comfort him as he tied his bracers onto his arms. He drew his sword and balanced it on his finger, throwing it up and catching it by the hilt, then swiping at a dummy he kept there. The head flew off, covering the floor with straw. Sheathing his sword he picked his bow and arrows off the wall and slung them onto his back, going back to the great hall to join the others...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Witch_Queen's post

Thranduil was surprised that so many had volunteered. He figured that his nephew would but didn't know about the others. He returned to his home to look Legolas in the eyes and explain to him once again why he wasn't allowed to go with his father. Thranduil could only trust Legolas to take care of the people while he was gone. Legolas is young and has yet to see as much as me. Once he has seen everything life has to give him perhaps then he will not be so quick to volunteer for things.

Thranduil opened the door to his home, his wife and son stood there staring him in the eyes. "Legolas, don't look at me like that. You know I can only trust you. If I was to leave your mother in control, who knows what would happen." He looked at his wife. A smiled formed on both their faces. Everything was going to be fine. "As a matter of fact your cousin is going to make sure I don't do anything rational." Legolas turned his head. "Lossenfirithion?" Thranduil was suprised that his son knew which one. "Yes, Lossenfirithion. I know we can both trust him with our lives. If it wasn't for you staying behind, I would have to make him stay. I fear that when I leave everything will turn to chaos. We must not be saying that."

Thranduil pulled his wife close to him and kissed her on the cheek. "My dear you must be strong for both of us. Remember that if anything was to happen to me I want you to continue remembering me for what I am and was. We both know nothing will happen to me. After all I am ruler of these lands." Thranduil laughed so loud that it made the halls in his house shake. "Come now, whats for dinner, I am hungry now after the meeting. Plus it is only two days time until I have to depart from my home and the ones I love." Walking over to the table, Thranduil, his son, and his wife sat down to enjoy what seemed like the last meal they would ever have together.

Last edited by piosenniel; 12-09-2004 at 09:38 PM.