View Single Post
Old 09-25-2004, 01:34 PM   #36
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have wished to make a list for a while but hesitated since it required passing(albeit positive) judgement on people I have "known" only for a little time and because I feel I am choosing from that relatively small selection of the Downers who I have encountered most frequently.

Also, there are people here whose posts are so awe-inspiring that I feel that they will respond in the manner of Treebeard hearing that Merry "almost felt he liked the forest"! So with those provisos, and hoping that the "Mirth" plea will excuse superficiality, here is my list and attempts to explain choices which were largely instinctive and based on impression:

Merry: Myself - I feel unsuited to the Frodo role.

"No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
Am an attendant lord, one that will do
To swell a progress, start a scene or two, "

Of the fellowship, we are the most alike I think in personality - much as I would like to claim to be an elf! I could elaborate, but like Merry of the thoughts prompted by eye contact with Galadriel, I don't think I will.

Frodo is then Mark12-30 - for her spirituality and moral courage. I assume her screen name means she is not unwilling to take a male character .... and I feel she will be more than happy to be a hobbit.

Sam sorry to be unoriginal - but I really think it has to be Saucepan Man - may be it is the pans .... or the fondness for comic song as well as myths

Pippin - Encaitare - We last see Merry and Pippin singing on their way, and we share at least some musical tastes. And we are both fairly recently "dead" and have a similar post count so I think her Pippin will be an appropriate match for my Merry.

Gandalf - It just has to be Fordim Hedgethistle - a fount of wisdom and humour, concealed by a grumpy, old man persona. And he finds we hobbits worthy of his attention.

Aragorn will be The Squatter of Amon Rudh. Partly for his knowledge and air of authority, and partly for his relentless determination to complete the course of action he has decided on (and related fence climbing skills - Wolvercote / Bree!).

Boromir Feanor of the Peredhil. He was a good companion to Merry and I know she will take this as a compliment. They seem to share a "no nonsense attitude".

The last two are perhaps not ideal fits but I want them in my fellowship and they are not entirely inappropriate .

Gimli Osse. The avatar was a factor! But Gimli has less humour - at least in the book. He is fierce in attack, steadfast in defence and good at encouragement.

Legolas Eomer of the Rohirrim - maybe a little unlikely but my justification is the swiftness of wit - vital to the "esprit de corps". (Edit) I knew there was another reason - the fangirls!!!!

Now for my supplemetaries - With FH's permission - The remaining ringbearers ...

Cirdan : The Barrow Wight - a powerful, slightly remote figure (but somehow also omnipresent)

Gilgalad: Davem - a warrior of light.

Elrond: Heren Istarion - a cross-cultural master of lore and languages who is involved in so many areas (and kind)

Galadriel Because I cannot choose, not because any one of them would be insufficient in the role, I must have "three graces": Bethberry, Child of the 7th Age and Estelyn Telcontar - wise and powerful women all.

I wasn't going to do baddies but ,not as an insult but becasue I can't leave him out, I will give Gollum to Sleepy Ranger - always popping up and with differing aspects (and with strange taste in food!)

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 09-26-2004 at 10:15 AM. Reason: PS to Legolas/ typo
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote