View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 10:14 AM   #43
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Fordim wrote:
Quote:
Of course not…how about this as well: Galadriel as ‘sorceress’. I’m thinking here of the figure as we find her in the Homeric tradition, specifically Kirke and Kalypso from the Odyssey.
I must admit that this view makes me a bit uneasy. Or perhaps not specifically this view but a more general attitude that has emerged. Maybe I'm just too much of a feminist to look at this clearly - but the view of Galadriel as a feminine threat to a masculine quest disagrees with me. I think that perhaps we are all overstating the "perilous" aspect of Lorien and of Galadriel. Kirke and Kalypso (and Dido, while we're at it) are not at all on Odysseus's (or Aeneas's) side. None of them has any reason to desire the success of the male hero's quest. None of them is "good". Galadriel is most certainly good. She is part of the same group of authority figures as Gandalf and Elrond. She is unambiguously an ally (unlike, say, Denethor or Gollum). Yes, there is peril in Lorien. Yes, Galadriel is tempted by the Ring. But it is not an adventure, like the encounters with Kirke and Kalypso. It is perhaps a bit more like Aeneas's stop in Carthage - and yet that's fundamentally different as well. Dido opposed Aeneas's quest and actively sought to dissuade him from it. Here, it is Frodo who asks Galadriel to take the Ring, and she that refuses.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote