View Single Post
Old 10-29-2004, 06:24 PM   #278
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
My Post (for Dummies)

Oy, my RPG post requires a manual to understand..

The title of my post is the impromptu name I thought up for the battle: The Battle of Teryggond. Teryggond is Sindarin; Teryg (Troll Pl.) + gond (stone, i.e. Gondor). So, Teryggond technically means "Stone Trolls," and the skirmish can be considered, "The Battle of the Stone Trolls." I can only hope that the title is accurate linquistically. If someone/anyone would prefer it not be in Sindarin, I'll oblige, but the name translated into Elvish has a very eloquent nature, in my most humble opinion, thus my use of it. The wee little skirmish can just as easily be called "The Battle of the Stone Trolls" by non-Elvish speakers, and "Dagor Teryggond" by the Elves of the company. But, I digress...a lot.

~WARNING~ The next paragraph is increasingly boring, but may be interesting to linguists
Other linguistic points: More use of Black Speech.
My post contains two linguistic oddities: Thrakul and Gimbata.
Fear not, canon police, there is method in my madness: Thrakal means "Bring them." Tolkien does not explicitly say this, but it can deduced. In the Ring Verse, which we all most probably have heard, the phrase "thrakataluk" means "to bring them all." I took the liberty of removing the -ataluk suffix, because that denotes that the verb "bring" also entails "them all." Thrakat would mean "to bring" so removing -at from thrak- might, logically, create another connotation of the same verb. Though this is not exactly canon, I sort of assumed that I could make the verb into a second person version of itself by removing that suffix, and adding the new prefix -al, which means "all" (thrakat-al-uk). A similar principle follows with the word Gimbata, which means, via my translation "Find him," from the Ring Verse "gimbatul." Gimbatul means "bring them all," so I again removed the -atul suffix and added *gulp* a word I sort of...made up...Yes, Tolkien never gave us the Black Speech word for "he" so I fabricated it...But it's just two letters. Can it pass, oh mighty mods?

I also put the word tark-dug in there, which is basic, meaning "Ranger-Filth" (remember pio's definition of tark).

Ok, now for the actual battle!

-The battle has begun: all combatants are in play
-Most of the 23 nameless orcs are armed with an array of random weaponry, but take note that there are two with spears, and three are still using their bows.
-Thoronmir's horse is dead. I hope this isn't dreadfully inconvenient, but I didn't want to make my archers out to be totally inept. Plus, this way, Thoronmir can directly engage Bubkur, who is currently gallumphing towards him.
-Osric got tackled off of his horse by a big orc. This orc is free to be killed, and is no threat, he just got lucky. All of the 23 orcs on the field, besides Bubkur and Kransha, can be killed at any time, but if the good guys are going to flee, I suggest they flee from something (which means, don't kill everyone gratuitously, you'll get your chances in due time...but you don't have to be frugel).
-Kransha is scoping out the field for a mark. Beware!

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies

Last edited by Kransha; 10-29-2004 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Typos, and italics