View Single Post
Old 11-07-2004, 06:53 PM   #39
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Pipe A Glimpse at scary-reality society?!

Hmmm. Yes, i have recieved questions from crictics about the Lord of The Rings, luckly most have not been bias, or too judgemental. But for the ones that have, it has made me think deeply and reflect on these questions. Why? Well, first i studied WHO, WHY, and WHEN. From what i've found, on a high-schooler's experience and point of view is that these are usually people who have never even heard Tolkien before, have not been part of the "group" who would read Tolkien, or would have ever called themselves a tolkien "fan".

A rather nasty question that I have had the misfortune to hear asked if the movies were like some way to futher "convert" people into fanatics. Why this upset me was, i've never seen being a fan of an author as a sterotypical reference to a "cult". I mean, it's not like we have our own versions of metaphysics! Now, you don't have to agree with me but, it's natural for society to explode one ideal or concept so massively that it either holds on to everyone or a select group of individuals. A good example that i've seen is the Harry Potter Movies and what spawned off of them. (If you are a fan, i am one too i'm not saying you stupid.thank you.) But, this didn't seem to happen in LOTR 's case. Actually is smoothed over quiet nicely. Old fans were re-inspired to pick up the books, new fans were made and who knows, maybe some more will come. Although, this is just my opinion, you don't have to agree.

Hope I helped. (If i didn't, well i warned you this is just my Opinion.)
~The Ka~
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote