View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 12:00 PM   #364
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durfuiniel
wow, so there are people here who speak german pretty good*smile*
Do people in America(or England or whereever) really think all germans are beerdrinkers? I'd love to her some other prejudices about us Germans, that's really interesting I think.... so please tell me your view of germany
French is compulsary in my school until you're 16, and as I was fairly rubbish at it when I made my GCSE choices, I decided that one language was about as much as I could deal with. I regret the choice as I intend to take French into university, but hey, c'est la vie - I apologise for not speaking to you in German. Although my sister works pretty much as a living, walking, breathing, talking...german translator.

But we had a French lesson some time ago when we were talking about the various stereotypes which are held about different nations. And it was the Irish, not the Germans, who came out as the drinkers - a sentiment I couldn't exactly deny, as seven of my maternal granddad's siblings are alcoholics.

As to Fea's remark on ancestry - I'm entirely Irish, all my relatives living there apart from my parents, who went to the same school for two years but only actually met each over when they both went to Manchester university (that's what you call irony...) Half of the youth of Belfast seemed to be in Manchester University that year - and all doing accounting, why?!). Otherwise none of my Catholic relatives live in the 'heathen country' and few of my dad's. So yeah, I was born here and have lived here most of my life, but I think we can say I'm pretty damn Irish. Unless you go back like four hundred years to the Spanish Armada, and that's just silly...

There you go, some useless information that you didn't need to know, will never need again, but which I nonetheless felt like sharing anyway.

So there.

Nyuh