View Single Post
Old 11-30-2004, 02:03 PM   #48
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

I know this is a bit off track, but this is something I actually just recently discovered about Boromir's character. One of the deepest characters becomes even deeper.

Mark12_30 and I briefly discussed Boromir's witiness. I just figured out, it's not just witiness, Boromir is actually a satiric character. Satire is using humor or wit to bring up a problem. Often we see this in politics (Saturday Night Live). I think a key component to Boromir is this satire, for he has many witty remarks in this story. Even more, and this may be a problem of Boromir's is it tends to be Juvenilian satire, tending to be bitter, and not Horatian Satire which tends to be more gentle. Here's an example...

In the chapter The Great River the problem is how far they should travel down the river, and where should they go from there. Boromir not getting his way pokes some satiric lingo:

Quote:
"But the enemy holds the eastern bank," objected Boromir. "And even if you pass the Gates of Argonath and come unmolested to the Tindrock, what will you do then? Leap down the Falls and land in the marshes?"
Satire is often confused with sarcasm. Sarcasm, even though if the person being sarcastic is laughing, tends to be a personal remark towards another, a personal attack. Satire is adressing a problem with humor or witiness. Which we have here, and already said this seems more of a bitter, or juvenilian satire, then a gentle Horation satire. This could even make Boromir a more complex character .