View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 03:07 AM   #20
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Ah, now here's the chapter to go completely Aragorn swooning!

It is interesting to note that as Boromir died in the previous chapter, bereaving Gondor of his leadership, another leader is rising to take his place...something like the authority over Gondor being "reborn." Not only that, Aragorn himself was given "new life." He has lost almost all hope upon Boromir's death, but here he is in this chapter, showing us little by little how he deserves the throne of Gondor.

I find it ironic that he doesn't see himself as a leader worth following. Despite the assurance of Gimli and Legolas that they will follow his guidance, he says:
Quote:
You give the choice to an ill chooser. Since we passed through the Argonath my choices have gone amiss.
To me this statement shows him more of a leader than ever, for he has taken responsibility over his actions, and tried to look out for everyone's welfare. It would do good to him to learn that he can learn from every mistake. Maybe that's why we see a lot of wisdom emanating from him! Going back to his being an ill-chooser, maybe FotR's last chapter should have been entitled "The Choices of Master Aragorn" instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
To this point in the story, he has only really ‘been’ a Ranger from Bree to Rivendell, so it might appear ironic that in the very chapter that he emerges as the heir of Elendil that he is also acting as a Ranger once more – but I think it makes perfect sense insofar as he is no longer torn, but an integrated self. He is both Strider (Telcontar) and Aragorn (Elessar), and its this unity of self that gives him the remarkable strength and purpose with which to command (or challenge?) the loyalties of other men.
I don't think he has ever abandoned the Ranger side of him...after all, that's what he really is from the very beginning. But as Gandalf was gone and eventually also Boromir, it was inevitable for him to finally show his being the heir of Elendil. Someone had to lead, and he was chosen. And these two sides of him, so to speak, reinforced each other to make Aragorn an all-around leader.

End of swooning, for now.

I pity Eomer in this chapter. I cannot imagine how much amazement and shock he had to deal with as he conversed with the Man, Elf, and Dwarf. He was given proof of realities he thought were legends all along, and to make it worse, a stranger challenged him...and in his own lands, too! It must have been a very humbling action for him even just to cast down his proud eyes when Aragorn revealed his identity to him.

After all these, he had to make a decision that forces him to choose between the circumstances and the laws. Should he do what he thinks is right yet is against what he knows is right (i.e. aid Aragorn and disregard the law), or do what is right beyond the shadow of the doubt? Either way, the repercussions are still unclear to him, for he cannot see the big picture. But in the end, he takes a big risk, which we realize as he tells Aragorn what he has decided...
Quote:
In this I place myself, and maybe my very life, in the keeping of your good faith. Do not fail.
I believe this might have been one of the hardest choices in his life, more so for he was deciding in haste. Swoon! (To which everyone says, "Uh-oh...")

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 12-03-2004 at 03:10 AM. Reason: OC
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote