View Single Post
Old 12-12-2004, 12:03 AM   #4
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Actually, Gollum was in the custody of the Mirkwood Elves until he escaped with the help of some Orcs. That escape is what brought Legolas to Imladris in the first place. Problem is, (for the Orcs) that Gollum escaped from them some time between being freed from Mirkwood and when the Fellowship arrived in Moria, Presumably, he escaped after they brought him to Moria (which seems to be where they were from.) At any rate, Tolkien said in one of his letters, (please don't ask me which one, I don't know) that Gollum was in trouble and looking for an escape westward when he stumbled on the Fellowship headed East. If they hadn't headed through Moria, he probably would have starved to death. The real question is, what kind of parrellel did Tolkien have in mind between the Fellowship saving Gollum's life (accidentally) and losing Gandalf's life in the same place. Do I smell the most obvious opportunity for redemption that this story ever provided. (Notice I say story not Novel, out of respect to Fordim's "structure" thread.)