View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 02:14 PM   #3
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I've got my book out now and I'm just going to type as I read. This will result in real-time random ramblings, but maybe I will say something that will spark a discussion amongst those who aren't taking a bunch of finals this week (people who have time to organize their thoughts).

First, as Boro pointed out, there's this whole metal versus nature thing going on here. Note the ent-draught and Elrond's cordial versus the burning liquid the orcs gave Merry and Pip, as well as Elrond's healing skill and the healing virtues of the Entwash versus the paste the orcs put on Merry's wound.

But what about the manner in which the hobbits were carried? The orcs-
Quote:
An Orc seized Pippin like a sack, put its head between his tied hands, grabbed his arms and dragged them down, until Pippin's face was crushed against its neck... The Orc's clawlike hand gripped Pippin's arms like iron; the nails bit into him.
Notice the reference to metal ("like iron") and also, though it may be a coincidence, the reference to the nails of the Orcs (which made me think of the other type of nails, metal nails).

But here's how Treebeard carried the Halflings-
Quote:
Holding the Hobbits gently but firmly
And later it says they felt "safe and comfortable". That's more than a little bit different than their experience with the Orcs.

Did Tolkien mean for us to compare the two situations? Was he saying "Industry and nature can both take you someplace, but with nature the ride is more comfortable"?

And was anyone else captured by a desire to see the darker parts of Fangorn?
Quote:
'Like the Old Forest away to the north, do you mean?' asked Merry.
'Aye, aye, something like, but much worse. I do not doubt there is some shadow of the Great Darkness lying there still away north; and bad memories are handed down. But there are hollow dales in this land where the Darkness has never been lifted, and the trees are older than I am.
I am very intrigued by this. I want to hear these "hollow dales" described in full detail. I want to know exactly what is dangerous about them, and I want to see them, places where the trees are older than Treebeard and more dangerous than Old Man Willow. What would happen if Treebeard and the other Ents attempted to attack these places? What sort of battle would there be? Could an army of men charge into one of these pockets and burn down the evil or would the trees come alive and grab them before they could do anything?

I don't know why I'm so fascinated by this. It's sort of like the way Pippin was drawn to the well in Moria, or to the palantir.

And does anyone know- did Tolkien ever see the great sequoias of California? I saw them years ago and still remember them clearly. Did Tolkien get his ideas for the giant mallorn trees from the sequoias? They also could've given inspiration for Fangorn. The Hobbits note how "treeish" Fangorn is. The sequoia groves are similar in the way the trees are absolutely the dominant force.

Well, I've really got to get back to work now. If I have time I'll post more thoughts later.