View Single Post
Old 12-14-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
and I may get shot at for this one.......

I didn't mind the Dead at the pellenor fields duck OWW! One got me.....

The main reasons behind a lot of people berating this happening in the film was the Dead 'saving the day'. Maybe to unitiated, non book film goers it looks like this, but to us lot we know that it wasn't just Aragorn and the host of Gondorian men that defeated the Armies, it was a multitude of people. The Rohirrim, the men of Minas Tirith, Prince Imrahil, Rangers, Elves (I can't remember if Elrond's sons were there, sorry if I'm wrong) and most importantly of all MERRY AND EOWYN. Without these two, I believe all the armies of Men (and women) would have failed. It was the Witch King's death that was the catalyst for Sauron's forces failure at the pellenor fields. (And also with this death they saved Middle-earth but I've already explained that on another thread)

To carry on from a film point of view, it would have taken too much time, and spoiled the flow of the movie (and the surprise factor of Aragorn turning up) by Aragorn having to thank the King of the Dead and release him before the biggest battle in the movie. It just wouldn't have worked.

And IMHO the Dead only sort of polished off the baddies anyway. You know, knocking down an elephant, running into minas tirith and killing a few stragglers. That's how I view it anyway.

PS Isn't it great in the EE the way Eowyn struggles to reach her sword as Gothmog is bearing down on her before Aragorn and Gimli finish the good looking chap off without even realising she was there.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote