View Single Post
Old 12-19-2004, 04:50 PM   #10
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
RD-SL-10:
Quote:
If our idea is to make the ultimate fate of the outlaws ambiguous, then this doesn't work, as it asserts that they did in fact survive.
Survive what? We have at least let them survive the meeting in Menegroth so I don't see why you are not happy with the fate of Ufedhin used for the outlaws. In TN he was a example of one that was not killed by the cruse but was effected by it, so I found it fit. But as Maedhros said if you have a better replacment, I would be happy to read it.

RD-EX-21: I don't think that we will have a "Turin chapter". What we will have is the Narn. And WH is in my view a part of it. Thus we would have a chapter break here. But this is clearly open for discussion.

RD-EX-26: The change was supposed by Maédhros. And agree with him that it would be starnge for the later Elves of Nargothrond to have a hughe treasure of unwrought gold. As you said your self to skip "the most" is safer.

RD-EX-27: Since it might be that we will use the passage from The Annals of Aman in it proper place, I agree that we should follow TN more closly. Since your change does also what Maédhros desiered we will take it.

RD-EX-28: Agree, we can not be sure that Thingol has no Gems. But I would like to hold more of the sentence that Maédhros suggested:
Quote:
§24a (§3) RD-EX-28<TN Now as he gazed {Tinwelint}[Thingol] said: ‘How glorious is this treasure! And I have not a tithe{ thereof, and} of the gems of Valinor {none save}[other then] that Silmaril that Beren won from {Angamandi}[Angband].’ But {Gwenniel}[Melian] who stood by said: ‘And that were worth all that here lies, were it thrice as great.’>
RD-EX-30: If even you find it your self necesary then I don't think we can skip it.

RD-EX-32: Agreed.

RD-EX-35: Agreed, my assumption that it was still an valid alternativ profed to be wrong.

RD-EX-37:
Quote:
In the later stories, Thingol has seen such swords as Aranruth and Anglachel. I rather doubt that this statement is safe, particularly in light of the latter.
I agree that Thingol has seen many more marvelous swords that Tinwelint, but that does not mean that they were more wonderous than these particular sword. Form Aranruth we do not know any thing than the name. From Anglachel we get no good discription either when I remember rightly. Would it be safer then to name the new sword "more adorned" since it is clearly meant to be very glorious and not wonderous in the sense of being a mighty sword.

RD-EX-39: I agree, and found that we might even save more of the text:
Quote:
§28d (§9) RD-EX-39 <TN Now {come}[came] the Dwarves{ nonetheless over the bridge and} before the chair of {Tinwelint}[Thingol], and behold, the things of their workmanship they had conveyed thither in silken cloths, and boxes of rare woods carven cunningly. In other wise had {Úrin}[Húrin] haled the treasure thither{, and half thereof lay yet} in his rude sacks and clumsy chests}; yet when the gold was once more revealed, then did a cry of wonder arise, for the things the Nauglath had made were more wondrous>. ...
RD-EX-40: This is an left over of the two smithings that I would have liked to hold. But if that does not work than I think we should hold some of the conversation as an intro to the presentation of the Nauglamír:
Quote:
§28d (§9) RD-EX-39 <TN Now {come}[came] the Dwarves{ nonetheless over the bridge and} before the chair of {Tinwelint}[Thingol], and behold, the things of their workmanship they had conveyed thither in silken cloths, and boxes of rare woods carven cunningly. In other wise had {Úrin}[Húrin] haled the treasure thither{, and half thereof lay yet} in his rude sacks and clumsy chests}; yet when the gold was once more revealed, then did a cry of wonder arise, for the things the Nauglath had made were more wondrous>. RD-EX-40<TN Now when all was done and their smithcraft given to the king, then said {Ufedhin}[the Dwarves]: ‘O {Tinwelint}[Thingol], richest of kings, dost thou think these things fair?’ And he said: ‘Yea’; but {Ufedhin}[they] said: ‘Know then that great store of thy best and purest gold{ remaineth still, for }[did]we have husbanded{ it}, {having a boon to ask of thee, and it is this: we would}[to] make thee a carcanet and to its making lay all the skill and cunning that we have, and we desire that this should be the most marvellous ornament that the Earth has seen, and the greatest of the works of Elves and Dwarves. Therefore we {beg of thee to let us have}[toke from thee] that Silmaril that thou treasurest, that it may shine wondrously amid the {Nauglafring}[Nauglamír], the Necklace of the Dwarves.’>
We skip then §28e. But I would like to use that § earlier:
Quote:
§27 (§6) But the Dwarves coming were stricken at once with the lust and desire of the treasure, and they plotted treachery. They said one to another: 'Is not this wealth as much the right of the Dwarves as of the elvish king, and was it not wrested evilly from Mîm?' Yet also they lusted for the Silmaril.RD-EX-35 <TNBut as yet {the}their<editorial bridge treacherous> designs{ of Ufedhin} came to nought, for in no wise would {Tinwelint}[Thingol] suffer {or him or those of} the Nauglath to depart to Nogrod with or without {that}[any] portion of the unwrought gold that yet remained, and he said: ‘How shall it be thought that after the weariness of your{ burdened} journeys hither I should let you so soon be gone, to noise the lack of courtesy of {Tinwelint}[Thingol] abroad in Nogrod? Stay now awhile and rest and feast, and afterward shall ye have the gold that remains to work your pleasure on; nor shall aught of help that I or my folk may afford be wanting in your labour, and a reward rich and more than just awaits you at the end.’>

§28a (§7) RD-EX-36 <TN Being therefore without counsel they bowed before the king, and the faces of the Dwarf-folk show seldom what they think. Now after a time of rest was that{ last} smithying begun in a deep place of {Tinwelint}[Thingol]'s abode which he caused to be set apart for their uses{, and what their hearts lacked therein fear supplied, and in all that work Ufedhin had a mighty part}.>RD-EX-36.5<TN Then again did {Tinwelint}[Thingol] doubt {Ufedhin's}[their] purpose, yet did he yield the {boon}[jewel], an they would suffer him to be present at that smithying.>
RD-EX-42 "Nargothrim" is not attested as fare as I can see. We should change "gold of the Rodothlim" here to "gold of Glaurung".

All not commented changes and corrcetions are taken up for the next version.

Respectfully
Findegil

Last edited by Findegil; 12-20-2004 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Corrected missing end-of-quote-mark.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote