View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 06:15 AM   #6
A_Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

A_Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to A_Brandybuck Send a message via AIM to A_Brandybuck
The Atlas of Fonstad is a very good book for discovering Middle-earth, but it doesn't include all things. Of course, it cannot show every thing of middle-earth, because Tolkien told us not every thing. ;-)
The following quote shows us two facts, which are not much known, because it is the only mentions of it (I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT
The origin of the name Gwathló must be sought in history. In the time of the War of the Ring the lands were still in places well-wooded, especially in Minhiriath and in the south-east of Enedwaith; but most of the plains were grassland. Since the Great Plague of the year 1636 of the Third Age Minhiriath had been almost entirely deserted, though a few secretive hunter-folk lived in the woods. In Enedwaith the remnants of the Dunlendings lived in the east in the foothills of the Misty Mountains; and a fairly numerous but barbarous fisher-folk dwelt between the mouths of the Gwathló and the Angren (Isen).
There are a secret hunter-folk, which have outlasted the Great Plague and lives still in the woods of Minhiriath. Also is there a barbarous fisher-folk dwelling between the mouths of both rivers.
Both folks are not mentioned (correct me if I am wrong) in the Atlas, save a little entry in the population map concerning the fisher-folk. But it is rather unclear, whether this entry is for the Second or the Third Age. The hunter-folk was totally peculated.
The Lossoth are also barely mentioned in the Atlas, and not in the population map. There is, I think, one only mention of the Lossoth as "Snowmen" living in the northern regions of Eriador.
The dwellings of the Dunedain of the North are understandably also not mapped, beacuse of not knowing exactly, where they are.
This might be a reason, why Fonstad didn't include the hunter-folk, but it is not understandably in the case of the Lossoth. We know at least, that they live near the Ice Bay, because of the fate of Arvedui, last King of Arnor.

But I repeat one time: Great Atlas.