View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 03:14 PM   #80
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
At last I have watched the EE so many times that I'm ready to share a few thoughts about it. First and foremost I think there could have been much more enhanced (or completely new) scenes. Now that I've watched the extras and heard that they were going to put a little "what happened to each member of the Fellowship" scene in it, I'm disappointed with the otherwise grand ending. That bothers me a bit since it's not just an ending for RotK but for the whole trilogy.

'Cause we all know that we are dealing with a master piece here, I might as well concentrate on the scenes I think to have some flaws
The Mouth of Sauron...He looked perfect when the Black Gate opened and he rode out all by himself. But then. Why, oh why does he have to twitch like he had a little cramp in his neck. That together with his way to talk makes him look ridiculous rather than scary or eerie and spoils the mood. Of course Aragorn has to start swinging his brand new sword so rashly that he chopps MoS's head of. I think that a heir of great kings and a foster child of a mighty elf should know that one shouldn't toy with sharp items. There was absolutely nothing kingly or noble in the way he treated the messenger.

Phew! It felt good to let out some steem. Now I can start afresh a new rant about Eowyn fighting Gothmog. Well, actually, that scene doesn't irritate me that much. It's rather the scene where Eowyn draggs herself trying to escape from Gothmog. It's so wrong! The climax with the Witch King and Eowyn's and Theoden's heart-breaking farewell come crushing down when some deformed pink chunk starts chasing her. Then our beloved "Jack-of-all-trades" (aka Aragorn) and the official comic relief (that'd be Gimli) save the day and kill Gothmog in a quite brutal way. I expected the whole time that it would be Theoden who gets to kill him (due to the way things happened in the books) or then at least Eomer.

One thing I wondered about was why Gandalf seemed so grumpy in the scene where he and Pippin were discussing on the balcony though Pippin was clearly feeling uneasy about the coming battle. It's good that finally Gandalf puts his hand on Pippin's shoulder to comfort him. Maybe it's the movie makers' way to remind the viewers of wizards being subtle and quick to anger or what ever the original phrase was.

In spite of my quite negative post I enjoyed almost every new minute that was in the film. Wonderful parts were, to name a few, the House of Healing (how couldn't you just adore those two lovers!), Eomer finding Eowyn on the battle field (my eyes got teary) and the little scene between Pippin and Faramir concerning Pippin's new armor. I also liked the fact that Arwen's song made it to this extended cut. She has such a beautiful voice.
Altogether, cheers and happy times with your EEs'!

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 12-27-2004 at 03:21 PM. Reason: A typo...
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote