View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 04:43 PM   #3
King of the North
Haunting Spirit

King of the North has just left Hobbiton.
Sting btw, this is a great thread

Because the answer should be mostly based on dialogue, acting, and possible storyline quirks; my choice for favorite character will be different than that from the book.

Even though not in all three films, Boromir was my favorite character (movies only). Sean Bean portayed the tormented and at the same time valiant character with perfection. None of his lines seemed to be weak or flimsy, but instead left a lasting impression on me. I did not find any flaws in Sean Bean's acting either. The movies show Boromir as more of an evil character than in the books, but that is purely because they are movies. As a result of that, there is much less background information on Boromir which helps define the character to a fuller extent. When I first read the Fellowship of the Ring I did not have a picture perfect understanding of Boromir's nature and appearance. After seeing the movie version, Sean Bean's portrayal fit perfecting into my imagination. Now whenever I read the book, his image appears.

Also quickly I would like to say that if I had to chose from a character that remained in all three movies it would be Meriadoc Brandybuck. Dominick whatever his last name is played the character really well. He also fit perfectly into my vision of Merry from the books. He most definitely outshined the portrayals of Sam and Frodo, who I believe in some parts were poorly played by Sean Astin and Elijah Wood (mostly in the Return of the King).

Lastly I would like to name my least favorite character from the movies. At first I made this decision with a little reluctance, but after reviewing the facts once again it was easy. Legolas was by FAR the worst character in these movies. In the books however, the Sindarin elf was my utmost favorite. Orlando Bloom butchered this beloved character of mine, ESPECIALLY in the amazingly STUPID stunts he pulls in the Two Towers and RotK. If u do not remember, then let me refresh ur memory: In the Two Towers he defies the laws of physics and gravity by lifting himself onto a horse...... well nvm that cant even be explained in words its so impossible, I guess u'd have to see it. Also in RotK he climbs up an Oliphaunt by using arrows (which would easily break, they are basically twigs for God's sake) and then by using the force or something he balances on the back of the beast and shoots the rope holding up the battlement on the Mumak's back. Then (while still keeping perfect balance) walks to its head and shoots it (totally un-accurate, an Oliphaunt has to be shot in the eye to die). As the creature falls to the ground he still amazingly keeps his balance and then ramps off the creatures tentacle thingy in the front (cant remember wat it called) and lands safely. I seriously wanted to throw a hammer at the movie screen after watching that. In the book, Legolas is fairly normal, he's just an elf, so therefore automatically has more wisdom and skill, but the reason he's a hero is because of his skill with a BLADE and a BOW. I had no idea he was supposed to be the Messiah. In the first film, the portrayal is quite good (doesnt even compare to the Legolas in the book though), but later on down the road it worsens quite a bit. Peter Jackson and Orlando Bloom could have easily saved this character if they would have stayed away from the uber lame stunts. I did not have much of a problem with Legolas' appearance in the films, but with the rest of the elves in the movies I did. Please forgive me if I sound homophobic but it makes me have somewhat less respect for them (good thing they normal in books) Answer me this: since wen did all elven men become metro-sexuals that talk very feminitly?

Well I'm done FINALLY. o and btw nice comments Eomer of the Rohirrim.

Last edited by King of the North; 12-28-2004 at 05:17 PM.
King of the North is offline   Reply With Quote