View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004, 09:38 AM   #5
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: what are you doing here? did you come here to eat my popcorn?
luthien-elvenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
That doesn't make sense to me. I would think that since Sauron didn't make them and had nothing to do with making them why would the destruction of the master ring bring the destruction of the other rings? The only thing I can think of is because Sauron instructed the elves in their craft of making all of the rings that the others can be destroyed,
I am just a little confused...are you saying that Sauron had nothing to do with the making of the Rings of Power, or that he did by instructing them in their craft? I sounds like you are saying both. I am missing something here. Please help me understand what you are saying.

Following are a couple of quotes from The Silmarillion:

Quote:
...(the Noldor in Eregion) hearkened to Sauron, and they learned of him many things, for his knowledge was great. In those days the smiths of Ost-in-Edhil surpassed all that they had contrived before; and they took thought, and they made Rings of Power. But Sauron guided their labours, and he was aware of all that they did; for his desire was to set a bond upon the Elves and to bring them under his vigilance.
Now the Elves made many rings; but secretly Sauron made One Ring to rule all the others, and their power was bound up with it, to be subject wholly to it and to last only so long as it too should last. And much of the strength and will of Sauron passed into the One Ring; for the power of the Elven-rings was very great, and that which should govern them must be a thing of surpassing potency;

Quote:
As soon as Sauron set the One Ring upon his finger they were aware of him; and they knew him, and perceived that he would be master of them, and of all that they wrought. Then in anger and fear they took off thier rings. But he, finding that he was betrayed and that the Elves were not deceived, was filled with wrath; and he came against them with open war, demanding that all the rings should be delivered to him, since the Elven-smiths could not have attained to their making without his lore and counsel
It was Sauron's teaching that enabled the elves to craft the Rings of Power. The Three Rings crafted by Celebrimor alone were only able to be made because Sauron shared his superior knowledge. Therefore, he did have a part in their making, although not in a physical, hands-on manner.