View Single Post
Old 01-01-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Reasons behind Frodo's leaving.

Something I have been wondering about, here for a couple days, was when Frodo claimed the ring as his own, did he feel like he failed. After the outcome of the ring finally being destroyed, but knowing that he couldn't drop it in himself, does he have a sense of failure?

As discussed a couple times in the CbC threads, that Frodo blames himself for things that necessarily aren't his fault. The stabbing on weathertop, for example, he feels as if he endangered the company himself, and blames himself for dragging in his friends.

We know that Frodo leaves, because it's similar to Celebrian's situation, where she was wounded, and she couldn't be fully healed on Middle-earth. Also, the quest of the ring was a huge burden on Frodo. But is there more too it then that? Does Frodo feel ashamed, because in a way he failed not the quest, but the personal test (ha I rhymed)? Seeing that he failed his own personal test of dropping in the ring, (and thanks to Eru the ring was destroyed), and that typical blame he puts on himself, does he feel ashamed as if he can't stay in Middle-earth anymore? Just something I'm wondering, it could really lead to nowhere.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote