View Single Post
Old 01-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #8
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally posted by Nukapei.
But, important is the fact that Sauron taught the Elves how to make their Rings! Maybe he knew they'd try to make their own, maybe he didn't. I haven't read that many passages on this subject -- most of my knowledge is second-hand. However, it seems to me that, even while he was teaching the Elves this craft, he would know that there was at least the possibilty one of them would do something like this.
The thing is, Sauron forged the One Ring after the Three were forged. And after the Nine and the Seven, for that matter. He had already ideas for domination through instructing the Elves in this craft and his plans came to fulfilment when he made the One Ring in Orodruin.

The whole reason for Sauron instructing Celebrimbor and the other Elven-smiths was so that he could betray them and rule all the Free Peoples of Middle-Earth through the One Ring; he didn't teach the Elves out of the kindness of his heart.

Quote:
So, it's possible that he might, might, have taught the Elves to make Rings of Power a specific way, with a fall-safe installed that anything they made using his methods would automatically be tied into any Master Ring(s) he might make in the future.
An interesting idea, but I don't think it matters in which particular way he taught the Elves to make the Rings, because either way he would rule them all through the Great Ring- that was his fail-safe. The One Ring is how he bound all the Great Rings to his power. Sauron had a hand in actually forging the Nine and the Seven Rings, yet he didn't ever touch the Three, but they were still bound to the One. This brings up the question; what if the Elves made more Rings to govern their race after the One was forged?

However, I'm straying off topic here, so I'll repeat my answer to the original question posed by Alchiesel that once the power of the One Ring was destroyed, the power that the Three Rings possessed through their domination by the One would also be lost.