View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 01:33 PM   #14
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye Eight Legged Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
It might be possible to debate whether or not Ungoliant was an Úmaia, but I think it has to be agreed on that she was an Ainu in origin, and since she was clearly not of Vala status, she must have been a Maia.
Is it really that clear cut that she was a Maia?

I have not yet read HoME but the only reference to Ungoliant's origins of which I am aware is in The Silmarillion:

Quote:
The Eldar knew not whence she came; but some have said that in ages long before she descended from the darkness that lies about Arda, when Melkor first looked down in envy upon the Kingdom of Manwë, and that in the beginning she was one of those that he corrupted to his service.
Based on this, the argument might go either way. On one analysis, the extract suggests that she did not originate within Arda but came from outside, as did the Ainur. Yet, if she was Ainu in origin, would the Eldar not know whence she came? It is possible, to my mind, to read this extract as suggesting that she was a powerful being that came into existence with the creation of Arda (as a consequence of Melkor's part in the song?), living at first in the darkness surrounding it, and that she was corrupted into Melkor's service shortly after he entered Arda.

Is there any other evidence as to Ungoliant's origins? In particular, is there anything that establishes that she was Ainu in origin?

Edit after cross-posting with Kuruharan: Thanks for the link. That thread suggests that Ungoliant was an Ainu but not a Maia, as she did not serve the Valar. But is it not possible to argue that she came into existence with the creation of Arda and was therefore not an Ainu?

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 01-11-2005 at 01:37 PM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote