View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 09:20 PM   #47
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Regin-

About Almaida:

Quote:
Although descriptive rather than narrative, I have included selections from my father's account of Númenor, more especially as it concerns the physical nature of the Island, since it clarifies and naturally accompanies the tale of Aldarion and Erendis. This account was certainly in existence by 1965, and was probably written not long before that.

I have redrawn the map from a little rapid sketch, the only one, as it appears, that my father ever made of Númenor. Only names or features found on the original have been entered on the redrawing. In addition, the original shows another haven on the Bay of Andúnië, not far to the westward of Andúnië itself; the name is hard to read, but is almost certainly Almaida. This does not, so far as I am aware, occur elsewhere.
-From the Footnotes of the Unfinished Tales, quote courtesy of Pio the Loremaster

I don't think that we're going to actually use Almaida. It seems that Andunie will work just as well. As far as the reason we have remained behind, I think your idea works very well, Regin. If the Faithful were (not exactly expecting, but...) hopeful that there would be aid coming from Eressea or Valinor then it would be sensible for them to have left a token "welcoming committee" so to speak.

Any major objections? If not, I think we can take that as our reason... do you have any brilliant ideas about names for the group?

I love your names too. Particularly the idea that your family name means "seven winds" Littlemanpoet is the one to ask about names. He seems to be our resident linguist. I'm not so good, myself.

I'm going to give you guys a taste of some of the family connections building. My brother (in RL) TomBrady12 is building a character that more than likely will function as Kathaani's protector and who will be a relative of some kind. This is the pm from him where he briefly describes his character:
Quote:
I was thinking that maybe his father might have been a kind of high profile member of the faithful, who was captured and sacrificed to Melkor. He was kinda scared by this and spent a number of years in middle earth, basically wandering and looing for solitude, before returning and he ends up joining the faithful not terribly long before this takes place (year or two). does this sound workable, im certainly open to any suggestions, ideas, or help.
Just so you guys get a taste of what's going on behind the scenes.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!