View Single Post
Old 01-28-2005, 08:45 PM   #64
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Kali, Kalli, knives and Kathaani

I was actually thinking of aging her up a bit, on further reflection she seemed too young. I want her to be very young, but I'm not sure I want her to literally still be a child. My brother and I were discussing relative ages, and he mentioned a quote he'd found in the Lost Road, which mentioned Elendil's son being 48 and "on the threshold of manhood." Under this description Kathaani would be younger than I want her at 21--she should perhaps be late 20s or 30. Does anyone know anything about whether that remained canonical? It would seem logical, since the hobbits weren't nearly as long lived as the Numenoreans, and they didn't even come of age until 33.

As for Kathaani's appearance, I had listed on her (still unfinished) bio that her hair was "dark". I hadn't specified beyond that, but in my imagination it was that shade of almost black that looks black in the shadow and dark brown in the sunlight. Perhaps she got some recessive genes.

This is what I had said about her knife:
Quote:
She carries a long bladed (now rather dull) knife with a silver hilt which she uses more frequently as a sort of all purpose tool than a weapon. She has been known to use it to pry open simple locks.
I had assumed that the name we used would be Sindarin or Quenya, seeing that it wouldn't make sense to use a group name at all (whatever the meaning) with those who were not members of the group. I suspect that being cut off from the elvish languages might make us more anxious to use them amongst ourselves?

I suspect that my brother will want to play Ziraphel's son.

Interesting coincidence: When I was growing up (in RL) my father had a mare called Kalli.

*runs off to work more on paper and later sneakily tweak Kathaani's bio*

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!