View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Dark-Eye The Deeper meaning to it all.

During the recent bombardment of commercials, product placements, actor turned artist/model or vice versa, subliminal messages and little boys’ voices, we, as the human race (at least humans with TVs) have developed two separate ways of thinking. One is that you believe everything you see and hear about and are completely naïve to what’s going on around you. If you are one of these people, sorry, you won’t like this thread. If you’re not, and if you, like me, subconsciously question everything that is pumped like melted butter into the overly fat-and-happy media then maybe you will enjoy this.

As I watched the tremendous premier of The Fellowship of the Ring, being completely incredulous to the story, I found myself thinking afterward about how manipulative advertisers could have tampered with the movie. Are some characters only there because they might sell something? Either an action figure or a personality drawn to buy such action figures? How about the scenery? Is it only a product placement for the even bigger and more evil New Zealand Tourist tycoons?

Legolas for example was cast for the soul purpose of drawing in the ladies ages 10 to 25 and for those older than that, there was always Aragorn, though slightly dirty “I’d wash’em.” Quoted my married middle-aged English teacher.

The Ring was fashioned in such a way as to make us believe that gold alone is a crime. We must buy diamonds, platinum and colours, damnit, colours! And there must be more than One.

What do you think? Is this a timeless classic, or just another excuse to more subtly guide our buying impulses? What are some obvious examples that we should know about and beware?

(Just in case anyone didn't notice that this is totally for fun and I'm not serious!)
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?

Last edited by Ainaserkewen; 02-01-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote