View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #132
St. Povis
Pile O'Bones

St. Povis has just left Hobbiton.
Denethor?

Right.

I can believe that there are fans of the Witch King, I can even believe that a servant of the {speculated to be} strongest of the Maiar, who was in turn the servant of the strongest Valar, might give Gandalf a run for his money, I just don't have it in me to see that the Witch King would walk out victorious, or even corporeal.

As for Denethor...I mean, come on. He was a power hungry lunatic who {seemingly} resented the return of the true heir and was under tremendous stress for any number of reasons. If not common sense, then common decency would point out that he was just trying to jibe the Gandalf. Egotistical rulers have a tendency to do that. Watch Judge Judy shoot her big fat mouth off at people sometimes. Damned if she doesn;t think she is God behid that bench. (Probably one of the reasons the old hag couldn't hack the real justice system. Still, after dealing with the day to day BS of people's idiotic squabbles, and having to balance your life and sense of human decency with the law, its understandable that she can be such a wench.) As it seems to me, more than a handful of kings from the realm of men would have felt happier without the name of Gandalf whispering in their ears, and there's no doubt that Denethor was one of them. I'm almost positive that if Gandalf were lying dead on the field, Denethor would have done a victory dance, and propbably tinkled on the corpse. (Before a bolt of lightning hit him from above, of course).

Surely, I have no answers. Surely I have a healthy dose of favoritism for Gandalf and a bit of distaste for people like Denethor. Surely, I have been raised on Good vs Evil=Good will always win. I guess the best way to do find out what's what would be to exhume the author's corpse and summon in a few necromancers to ask him what's what...Of course, then you;d have to deal with the necromancers personal agendas, and there'd probably be a lot of conflicting stories as to what was actually said, followed by the inevitable specualtion regarding sematics and othersuch.

Bah! If you ask me, there's just no way that the Witch King would triumph. None, nada, no way, no how, unless he was directly aided by Sauron or Morgoth, which, of course, can not be confirmed or denied. Peter Jackson! You have forsaken me!!!!!!!!
St. Povis is offline   Reply With Quote