Thread: Dumbing it down
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 09:14 AM   #29
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
I have to admit that I find it strange how many people here are upset or annoyed by things in the films purely by reference to the books. But it does seem to me sometimes that people here are going out of their way to find fault with the films.
Well said. I totally agree (not suprising). Some people seem to WANT to find fault in every part of the film.

Quote:
But as films, they are some of the best that I have seen.
They are the best films ever made IMO. (But this doesn't go against what I said in my last post. To say they are far superior to the books is IMO ridculous)

Quote:
I am sure that there are few (if any) here who would scrutinise any other film in quite the same depth to which they put the LotR films under the microscope.
Indeed, as I said earlier, we'll be here till doomsday discussing the films if we get down to grammatical issues (but yes, I've fallen into the trap, but am trying to explain Bernard Hill's use of words in my post)

Quote:
Certainly, it would never occur to me to call into the question the likes of Theoden's line at his son's burial (which, grammatically correct or not, I thought was rather moving)
I have had to bury one of my children, so yes, this is very moving and heartfelt to me. I know his sentiments entirely. IMO you do not know grief until the loss of someone close to you or that you love, especially a sibling.

Quote:
Perhaps they should have retained more of the original lines, but I was actually quite surprised at just how many they did retain (even though many were swapped between characters).
Yes, on re-reading the books, I was also surprised at how many of the lines WERE from Tolkien. Although I've yet to do this for the last film, but hey, this gives me an excuse to read it again!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote