Thread: Dumbing it down
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 02:03 PM   #61
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

The story has been simplified in the transition from book to film. This was inevitable.

I think a major idea emanating from this thread is the nature and extent of the simplifications. Some of us have been arguing that the filmmakers went too far, and assumed that the film audience would not like the film as much if it were more faithful to the story.

Saucepan, please realise that I feel for you, fending off us ferocious dogs single-handedly like you are! However, a point I would like to send to you is this: I realise that the films have been immensely successful, but should mass opinion really be the barometer of quality here?

I - like many others - lament the lack of what could have been. You know I love the films, it's just that even someone such as myself knows that they could have been so much better. And I am not sure that there are excellent reasons for why that scenario could not have been played out.