Thread: Dumbing it down
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 05:27 PM   #79
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Fordim, the essential message could have been propagated just as well had PJ and co. made a trilogy of films set in Han Dynasty China.

What is missing from the filmic adaptations in many instances are the many individual episodes that stick in your mind and make the story, and characters so endearing. Lord of the Rings isn't just small-person-takes-evil-Ring-to-Land-of-Shadow-and-drops-it-into-volcano, it's Gimli capering about when he hears the message Galdriel has sent him, Aragorn leading on the levies of Gondor with the Rangers at his side and the Star of Elendil on his brow, Barliman Butterbur musing over the unprecedented excellence of his beer, Gimli dwelling on the beauty of Aglarond, the three banners of Gondor, Rohan and Dol Amroth waving in the wind, sable, green and blue.

In many ways, certainly visually, I love the films and am deeply indebted to Peter Jackson, yet there are needless flaws that rankle.

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."

Last edited by Neurion; 02-10-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote