View Single Post
Old 06-13-2002, 01:32 PM   #28
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
Nope, but I am "implying" that if you spend about six months buried in Tolkien-land, without shutting off the analytical part of your brain, and the seeking part of your soul, you do end up with a conclusion that this is literature, mystical, powerful, beautiful, but literature nevertheless, and as such, has spiritual limitations. As in, I am fascinated by Tolkien's Varda, but I could not worship her.
Nor could I worship "her". Whatever the phrasing of the initial post, subsequent posts make it clear that this topic turned to a more hypothetical "what if" thread. I doubt anyone who posted would have intended to be taken literally regarding Tolkien's writing as a potential basis for religion.

Perceiving an apparent attack (giving the benefit of the doubt) Bethberry defended her statements and positions rather than responding in kind. Bravo! In response, she receives an admonishment suggesting she has passed some line of demarcation established by this board's "management".

As "management" (we haven't been formally introduced Bethberry, hi, I'm one of the 'powers that be'), I would like to emphasize that no such line exists where legitimate on-topic discussion is concerned. A line does exist with respect to disparagement, personal attacks, flaming etc. That line has not been passed, though big brother is watching.

This is a potentially interesting topic. If you wish to contribute please do, if you do not then don't.