Thread: Dumbing it down
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005, 04:33 PM   #101
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
But it seems from what has been said that it does come across that she is responsible for the flood, but that a look of surprise crossing her face may introduce an element of confusion. I'll have to watch it again, but might that be interpreted as a slight catch of breath at the power she has brought forth?
I've just finished an Extended Editions 'Rings marathon' so the Arwen/flood episode is fresh in the mind. Well, she definitely does call up the flood, but I take back my comments on her acting as what it actually appears that she is doing is looking over her shoulder as the torrent comes thundering round the bend and thinking "oops, I'd better move up this river bank a bit".

It was watching Two Towers that the script alterations came through most intrusively and I got the impression that the script writing had got a little out of hand and the team were unable to pinpoint where they wanted to go with it. There was an immense section of action in the middle of the film that did not seem to have a concrete purpose, going from the Warg attack right through to Aragorn getting to Helm's Deep. I feel this could have been tightened up considerably, but mainly as it seemes to take up a lot of time when other scenes were being 'cut', so that's my opinion.

Watching the Faramir sections again, I still cannot see how the changes fit to the storyline. And the time it took up was lengthy, so keeping to the books would not have taken any longer, not would it have been dull. I thought that a more suitable change, if there had to have been one, might have been to have Faramir realise that his brother's death was due to the ring and have this as his moment of realisation.

The other thing which came across was with the changes to Aragorn. I got the distinct impression that he was being drawn as a leader for a world which values the idea of a 'meritocracy', that a leader would have to 'earn his stripes' rather than have the divine right of a king. Thus the changes to Aragorn had some political implications to my mind. These could have been due to Jackson's own particular views on leadership or due to him thinking a modern audience would not 'like' the idea of divine right, but if it is the latter then that sits peculiarly as there is at the same time the contrasting image of Theoden, who does display 'divine right' at the same time as being an active military leader, so he shows that this can be done.

And yes, I did enjoy it thoroughly.