View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 07:37 PM   #69
Ruoutorin
Pile O'Bones

Ruoutorin has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Ruoutorin, rather than debate your rhetorical style, I refer you to Fordim Hedgethistle's thread, Canonicity: The Book or The Reader? where the issue of authorial intentionality was discussed ad finitum, concerning which texts are canonical and which are not and how relevant that term is in discussing Tolkien in particular.

Because what he means is the allusiveness, obviously.
Please do not refer me to any so called "Tolkien Experts" as they are no more experts then you or I and only offer their own opinions as to what Tolkien's intentions were and state them as facts. Unless the author has conducted a recent seance and successfully contacted Tolkien and specifically discussed this issue with him, his opinion is merely that, his opinion.

There are people who have convinced themselves that they have seen the Virgin Mary in a grilled cheese sandwich and they're sure that it is there. That certainly doesn't mean that it really is there. You can convince yourself of anything and really believe it, but that doesn't mean that it's true.

Quote:
3) A Conclusion: Tolkien does not answer Gorthaur's specific question, and therefore to assume rape is still speculative.
AMEN!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Ruoutorin; 02-20-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Ruoutorin is offline   Reply With Quote