View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dűm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
The Seeing Stones

Several weeks ago we completed a Shire rpg dealing with the recovery of two of the lost Palantiri. While the story was fictional, it was based on historical data, especially that of UT. Here is the beginning of the prologue.

Quote:
The palantiri, or Seeing Stones, were fashioned by the Noldor, probably by Feanor. The Elves presented seven of these to Amandil as leader of the Faithful in the Second Age. The palantíri were crystal globes of power, black in color, that a person of strong will could use to communicate thoughts with someone using a similar stone or to see things from anywhere in the past or present. In the hands of a good ruler, the Stones were important tools for communication, but they were also capable of abuse. The evil ruler with a strong will could use the Stones for spying and domination. Sauron, for instance, projected images of despair in the Anor-stone to manipulate and destroy Denethor’s mind. There is even some indication that using the Stones, like the Ring itself, could be addictive to its owner, especially if misused.
Here is the link for the rest of it.

The Seeing Stones: Prologue

I think you've got to have some understanding of what the Stones were to be able to understand and interpret Pippin's response.