View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 06:02 PM   #71
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Track 13: the Bridge of Khazad-Dum

If there's a track on this which is effective for waking you up in the morning, this track is definitely it. It starts out with the Fellowship theme in bold brass with strings.

The time signature seems to change a lot in the beginning section, something I never really paid any attention to until now. It starts out in 4, then seems to change to 6/8 at 0:09. Then at 0:17, it switches to being in 5, like the Isengard theme.

At 1:04, the music, having grown somewhat chaotic, stops. Here comes the Balrog! The "dwarvish" choir sings:

Quote:
Urus ni buzra!
Arrās talbabi fillumā!
Ugrūd tashniki kurdumā!
Lu! Lu! Lu!
Urkhas tanakhi!

Fire in the deep!
Flames lick our skin!
Fear rips our heart!
No! No! No!
The demon comes!
The tension grows as they realize exactly what it is they must face, and then as they begin to run, the strings get a little frantic. Reminds me of the hobbits running back in the Shire -- except this time the one chasing them is a wee bit scarier than Farmer Maggot.

There is plenty of brassy stuff while the Fellowship runs, with the drums (drums, in the deep) and the choir, becoming more fervent as they repeat the final line -- "the demon comes!" I really like knowing that... it makes the words more than just a cool choir. Now I actually know what they're singing about, and it makes me as the listener feel stress... I can only imagine what the Fellowship is thinking!

The Fellowship theme is repeated again, a little bit of triumph before a tragedy. At 4:17, Gandalf casts down the Balrog, but he too falls at 4:37.

We then hear some low chords, and another lovely male soprano solo; words are not even needed here. All in all, a great track, full of excitement and also sadness.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote