View Single Post
Old 03-10-2005, 04:02 PM   #448
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Wheel of Time Re:

Personally, I didn't find them as bad as all that. The first few were interesting enough, Books 5 and 6 were okay and the endings were quite good, but Books 7-10 nothing new really happened. They just sort of dragged on, being largely repetitive of each other just with new names and places. If he had condensed those four into one book it would have been a whole lot more interesting - he just needs to say it, not make a single day drag on for 600 pages. And Makar is right, he is definitely afraid to kill off main characters. But I did enjoy the first few, for what it's worth.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is pretty good, though it sometimes seems that the main character is rather lacking in flaws. In the first couple books there were a few things that seemed to be rip-offs of other books, but it got much better - he seemed to come up with more original ideas as he went.

Recently I started reading some books by Tamora Pierce and am finding them pretty interesting, in particular her newest two, Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen (Yes, I'm reading the series out of order... something I very rarely do). She certainly doesn't beat her world and characters to death; the series are quite short but interesting nevertheless.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote