View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #8
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

originally posted by davem:

Quote:
So what does Smeagol think Frodo is going to do once he gets to Mordor with the 'Precious'? One thing that did occur was that Gollum is rather like Sauron, in that he seems uable to contemplate the possibility that anyone could wish to destroy the Ring. Gollum has fantasised about taking the Ring back & becoming all powerful - is this what he thinks Frodo is up to? Does he believe that Frodo is going to Mordor to challenge & throw down Sauron & set himself up in his place?
I have always been puzzled by this--I've never been able to reconcile satisfactorily Smeagol's helping Frodo get into Mordor with his desire for the Ring, since I've only considered two possible reasons for entering Mordor with the Ring: handing it over to Sauron, and destroying it, neither of which is favorable to Smeagol in the end (do I win a prize for convoluted sentence structure? ) . It never occurred to me that Frodo could try to supplant Sauron. The only (rather feeble) theory I had come up with to explain his willingness to enter Mordor was that Smeagol was going to try to steal the Ring at the last possible moment, and was perhaps biding his time till Frodo was assailed by orcs, or indeed by Shelob. I think that you, as usual, are closer to the mark.