View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 08:00 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A sword in a stone or what?

One thread has caught my eye because of the very interesting points of view presented on the thread. It is Aragorn's Political Skills , started by Boromir88.

There has been a good turnout of thoughtful comments from a variety of Downers with surprisingly little of our usual riding of favourite hobby horses. And I like the careful discrimination among heroic ideal, political skills, good judgment, and humane considerations.

Tolkien clearly had a vision of ideal monarchy which few people today share, so I think such a discussion is valuable. (Unless one follows the Diana vs Camilla intrigues. ) I also am very intrigued by Saurreg's analysis of Aragorn's battle decisions and how they relate to the narrative or fantasy elements. All in all, I think, a useful discussion! Kudos to Boro for starting it!

Last edited by Bęthberry; 03-21-2005 at 08:04 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote