View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 11:32 AM   #222
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
A shot of panic raced through Siamak at the sight of Gjeelea. Why had he not thought to go someplace less known? Anyone seeking him would come to his rooms! But what was she doing here? And why now? He could think of few worse people to show up; namely his father or the Emissary, but for all he knew Gjeelea was on their side anyway. At any rate, she would not be on his side - but maybe, just maybe, she would have reasons to keep this meeting secret. He had seen very little of his sister in the past months; beyond her marriage to Korak he knew little of her activities, and so did not know where she stood.

Nevertheless, he kept his features even. Gjeelea would receive no edge on him by means of the emotions betrayed on his face. He stood stiffly; Zamara was similarly rigid behind him.

Looking distraught, Nadda pushed her way indignantly past Gjeelea. “Prince, I tried to keep the Princess back, truly; I told her you would not see her now, but she would not listen to me.” Siamak sighed. Of course Gjeelea would not listen to the servant. “You did your best,” he said, with an annoyed glance at Gjeelea. “Just try to give us some warning next time.” Nadda nodded, dipped a curtsy, and returned to the entrance room.

He now returned his attention to his sister, who had clearly taken stock of the situation. Gjeelea looked unusually disheveled, and that, combined with the late hour, set off warning bells in his head. Something would be wrong; to him, she had always been the picture of unassailable strength. Perhaps she had been hit harder than he had realized by the changes in Pashtia - but now something drastic must have happened. Actually, she looked worse now than she had the day Bekah had been murdered.

He did not sit, however, nor did he invite his sister to do so. He greeted her coolly. “Gjeelea, I have not seen you for a while. Why now?” There was a flicker of something, worry, perhaps, on Gjeelea’s face. It was just enough to remind Siamak that Gjeelea was human, too, and whether or not they had been friendly in the past, maybe it was time to change. She had, after all, come here on her own, so maybe it would be foolish to think that she was on their father's side. “Is something very wrong?”