View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 12:13 AM   #134
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Belegorn walked slowly towards the direction of the elven emissaries. He was still a distance away from the duo and other movements along the passageway masked his presence so that his intents did not notice his approach, as yet. When young Faerim stepped along side and joined him, the older man solicited softly.

“You alone know them best,” begun Belegron with his eyes still on the two elves, “tell me Faerim, what are the moods of our elven friends? Do they resent us? Bear us anger?”

A moment passed without reply and Belegorn stole a side glance. Faerim had a perturbed look on his handsome face and the former guessed that the young man was in a conflicted state of mind – wanting very much to oblige the lieutenant but at the same time not wanting to erroneously committing any natters that might deal his very special friends harm. Belegorn smiled inwardly; whatever slight irritation he felt due to the hesitation was more than off set by his approval of the youth’s sense of loyalty and responsibility.

“Well lad?” he asked, this time with a bit of deliberate curtness. Faerim and he were closing their distance with the elves.

Almost immediately, Faerim turned his head and look at Belegorn with the sense of doubt disappeared and indignation in its place. Good! Though Belegorn, much pleased with his little test. The boy has fire in him!

Faerim began sternly but yet with politeness, “My lord Belegorn. As much as I would like to indulge in your inquiry, I should think that I own my friends a measure of privy. Especially when I know not what are the intention behind it.”

Ye Gods, the boy’s bold! A surprised Belegorn thought, as he looked at Faerim in the eye. The youth’s face was composed and he did not bate a single eyelid when Belegorn’s piercing grey eyes met his own sapphire blue gems. Belegorn smiled wanly and tried to diffuse the tension.

“Faerim,” he begun, soft and gentle again, grey eyes softening, “rest assured that I mean our mutual friends no harm with my inquiry. I merely sought to discern their moods and to see if they would fit into what I have in mind for the remainder of our journey underground.”

Faerim cocked his head and raised a skeptical eyebrow in suspicion. Belegorn chuckled and revealed his intentions to the precocious youth.

“If you’ve noticed, our progress in the caverns and tunnels of the stunted folks is tardy and unsure. In the dark, this place threatens to seal us in for eternity. Unless we can decipher a pattern in this complex labyrinth of stone, our chances of leaving this place are none.”

Belegorn looked towards the elves and continued, “The Eldar possess gifts of the senses beyond yours and mine. Should they aid us, this expedition would stand a higher chance of success.”

“You want them to be our eyes and ears, as scouts.” Faerim concluded for Belegron, nodding.

“That is all.” Belegron assured again.

“Well,” begun Faerim, “I know they are still grieving for their fallen kinsmen silently, but I do not think their grief would affect their faculties; they’re a resilient lot. They do resent our indifference to their plight however, as well as the king’s haughtiness. Ask nicely.”

Belegorn smiled, “That’ll do lad. Come! Let us go talk to the elves.”