View Single Post
Old 02-08-2004, 03:39 PM   #58
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The most memorable and amazing scene in LOTR for me was The Cross-Roads. I just remember reading it for the first time, and it giving me chills. Because in the first part you have kind of an either go West or go East, dark or light. This is where I felt that Sam and Frodo had reached the last point where they had a choice, and after they left there was no going back. And then of course there is the last part of the chapter, and the image that is most memorable in my mind...

Quote:
Suddenly, caught by the level beams, Frodo saw the old king's head: it was lying rolled away by the roadside. "Look, Sam!" he cried, startled in to speech. "Look! The king has got a crown again!"
The eyes were hollow and the carven beard was broken, but about the high stern forehead there was a coronal of silver and gold. A trailing plant with flowers like small white stars had bound itself across the brows as if in reverence for the fallen king, and in the crevices of his stony hial yellow stonecrop gleamed.
"They cannot conquer for ever!" said Frodo. And then suddenly the brief glimpse was gone. The Sun dipped and vanished, and as if at the shuddering of a lamp, black night fell.
The way that Tolkien has wrote this is so amazing. The way that he mixed dark and light, sun, hope and sadness. It is just such a cool scene.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:40 PM February 08, 2004: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]