View Single Post
Old 04-22-2005, 12:09 PM   #184
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Firefoot's post

As the day faded into twilight, Sondo was beginning to wonder if they would ever see the end of these marshes. He was hungry, chilled, bug-bitten, and wet, but they could not stop and set up camp until they found some dry land. He was ready to be home, and wanted nothing more than a hot meal and a real bed.

Suddenly, he stepped foot onto firm ground. Looking around, he realized that they must be close to the Withywindle, for the Old Forest had curved around and was now not more than a half-mile to the east, and very close indeed to the north. Sure enough, some five hundred yards distant, he thought he could see where the Withywindle met the Brandywine, and beyond that, the tall, dark shape of the Hedge. Home was so close now... did they really have to spend another night here?

He stopped and turned to face the other hobbits. “Well, I don’t know about you, but I don’t really want to spend the night here, not with home in sight. Just past the Withywindle up there is Buckland. I know Gandalf said not to try to cross the Withywindle at night, and it’s starting to get pretty dark, but if we did, then we could be home tonight, with hot meals, clean, dry clothes, and real comfortable beds. And, unless we go and get wood from the Old Forest, there aren’t any trees from which we could get wood tonight for a fire.” He looked around, trying to figure out if they agreed or not. “We don’t have to, but I think that we should try to cross the Withywindle tonight.”