View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 08:04 AM   #331
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Question Still questioning

Nice editing, both of you - thanks!

However, I'm still not sure that we're communicating about the situation with Carthor's group and the trolls. Maybe a sketch would help:

.................................................. ........Belegorn waiting in turnoff tunnel...
.........spider tunnel..........................................|. ...................................
................|................................. ..................|............................... .......
................|................................. ..................|............................... ........
................|.....................firewall.... .................|.......A.........B..........C... ....
=======================|===================*=====* =====*===
.....|............................................ ......................................|........... ........
.....|............................................ ......................................|........... ........
......\___________________________________________ _______/...................
..................Carthor's mistake tunnel............................................ .........

== Main tunnel
__ Turnoff tunnel
The main body of refugees, the Elves, Faerim, and soldiers are in the main tunnel to the left, off the map.

My question is, Where are the trolls when Carthor re-enters the main tunnel?
If they're at point A, Carthor is behind them and they're between him and Belegorn.
If they're at point B, Carthor runs into them right when he reaches the main tunnel.
If they're at point C, Carthor meets them head-on.

This is very important because it determines the direction of Carthor's retreat.
A: Carthor retreats forward up the main tunnel (toward points B and C). It should be easy to miss the tunoff back into the mistake tunnel, but it's possible he'll find it.
B: Carthor retreats back up the mistake tunnel and never really re-enters the main tunnel at all.
C: Carthor retreats back up the main tunnel toward Belegorn and the firewall, either missing or re-finding the entrance to the mistake tunnel.

The mistake tunnel bypasses the fire wall. If Carthor's retreat leads him back up the mistake tunnel, the trolls will likely follow him. They will detour around Belegorn and the fire wall without even knowing that they're there. AND they will reenter the main tunnel very close to the main body of refugees.

Do you see my concern? For the story, it's OK not to explain the full situation like that; the people are supposed to be confused themselves. But we need to know where they're going. My post will involve the retreat, but I need to know if we'll run into the firewall or go off in other directions.