View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 02:50 PM   #37
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:
I remember reading that Gandalf thought going through Moria was a good idea in order to get the Fellowship out of sight of their enemies for awhile - being underground was a good place to hide, or would have been had things not gone wrong. (Problem is, I don't remember and haven't been able to find the source of that information by quickly skimming the various books - I'll add it if and when I do...) So the blame can't be put just on the hobbits.
Quote:
Don't have my books, but I think that it's just after they complete 40 days out of Rivendell. Aragorn and Gandalf discuss Moria, and I think that Frodo gets a wiff. Also there might be more just before the wolves attack after Caradhras.
I found it!!! It goes like this:

Quote:
Frodo overheard these words, and understood that Gandalf and Aragorn were continuing some debate that had begun long before. He listened anxiously.

....said Gandalf.'But there is another way, and not by the pass of Caradhras: the dark and secret way that we have spoken of'

'But let us not speak of it again! Not yet. Say nothing to the others, I bed, not until it is plain that there is no other way.'(that was Aragorn talking)

'We must decide before we go further,' answered Gandalf.

'Then let us weigh the matter in our minds, while the others rest and sleep,' said Aragorn.

fellowship pg. 279-280